jeudi 19 août 2010

Deceived by my Garmin !

Blablink - - - Garmin turns on and a message appears « detected footpod, run indoors ? » This was a critical moment and somehow I wasn’t concentrating and hit enter, which meant for the next 8 km it would be calculating my distance based on an accelerometer and not on a GPS signal. It was wonderful, it was stupefying it was phantasmagoric, I was clocking 4:45 kms and even hit a 4:38 km. I felt bliss, reminding myself as I ran through the woods to breath, smell, enjoy, appreciate the beauty around me. And running fast added an extra exhilaration to the experience I couldn’t help it I had the bounce in my legs, every person I overtook I felt like I was a child again receiving an ice cream.
I kept to my plan of starting slow (not quite sure anymore how to define slow when the gun blast goes off and everyone leaps off like gazelles in the Serengeti, let’s just say I exercised a certain degree of restraint relative to what my urge was beckoning) and progressively accelerated, timing things to give me enough punch to sprint through the finish line and feel like a million bucks. I certainly did feel amazing straight after crossing the finish line Niall came up to me all excited about witnessing my sprint, and Stefan already had a cup of water waiting, now that’s what I call service!
It was around this moment when I had a bit of a “Twilight Zone” experience, Stefan told me that he averaged 4:54 and I glanced down at my Garmin which revealed stunningly that I averaged 4:47! But wait a minute . . . STEFAN WAS IN FRONT OF ME!!! It took me another 30 minutes to be ejected from the Twilight Zone and realise that my foot pod calculated 8.49km in just under 41min and not 8km so naturally I thought I was going faster. I supposedly covered more distance in the same time. When I interrogated my Garmin if this was so, it only responded “Blablink”
I think it’s in denial.
My true average was 5:03 which was more realistic to my bow legs and though a bit disappointed to not be under 5, I loved the race all the same, after all, can you believe for once I actually beat Tenke.
Ummmmm . . . . . just because Tenke didn’t run the race is no excuse, I still beat her ;0)

1 commentaire:

  1. I can only salivate reading your blog trying to beat 5min/km because Garmin or not, Footpod or not, I am still on the recovery trail where speed is not measured in min/km but rather in min/m and so, since I have nothing to write onto my blog, I take the liberty to rant on yours.
    This week my horse was actually quite content taking a break and not running around the track, however, next week I will have to saddle up again and get a few more training runs going for that Montreal race.
    Talking about Montreal, I did sign up for the 10K race and forfeited my Marathon registration while the girls will do a 5k walk.
    We will start at the same time on the same course. I have set no target time for myself but it will be interesting to see who will arrive at the stadium first.
    I will have a good 4 weeks of training left for that TO Marathon on September 26th and the Montreal 10k race could be somewhat of an indicator of how fit this horse can become.

    RépondreSupprimer