dimanche 3 octobre 2010

Morat-Fribourg 17.17km

Morat- Fribourg is a race I did 2 years ago while preparing for the Lausanne marathon at the time. I remember coming home very enthusiastic about how fast I ran it, in spite the fact that at 6:00a.m. there was frost on the ground and everyone was scrambling to reevaluate their running gear. This time however it was one of the hottest Octobers at 25°C with a bright sun shining down on us. At every opportunity, runners headed for shade, and doused water over their heads to cool down. The hill profile for this race is unpleasant to say the least, climbing, climbing, and climbing some more, short bursts downhill and then more climbing. I had forgotten all about this and was making outlandish claims before the race began that I was hoping for a 1 hour 25min to 1 hour 30min, afterall its soooo easy when the race hasn’t begun and I’m feeling great.



As for results:
My performance has hit new records with an incredible improvement over 2 years ago of 1.2 seconds!
Now wait a minute was that a typo? Did you mean to say 1.2 minutes Jay? No, no you heard me correctly, I couldn’t be more proud of my final sprint, revving at 188bpm, almost blew my exhaust valves straight through my chest.
As for this dreaded fin-ally: heads were hanging low, the midday sun was boiling our blood, the thick spit was all dried up in our mouths and then the adrenalin kicked in that transformed me for a brief second into a dragster:

The Nissan 350Z 3.5-liter V6, 24 valves.
Jason Hollinger TripleZ, 6 liter Inline2, 4valves
1 :33 : 28.9 in 2008
1 :33 : 27.7 in 2010

So what can happen in 1.2seconds you might ask?
The Nissan 350Z can reach 60MPH that’s what!
And the Jason ZZZ passed 40 people on the proverbial climb of death, and came home with a personal best! To think I was 1.2seconds away from defeat but those Langolier ghosts of times past couldn’t gobble me up, not this time anyway.

As soon as I crossed the finish line, my head began to spin, my mouth felt wider open then a whale gasping for more phyto-oxygen, the sweat was proof that a huge cumulo-nimbus was hovering and dumping rain all over me. And my stomach gulped down endless cups of Gatorade that disappeared into the abyss.
When I regained my composure, I met up with Alain and we headed for the showers. There’s nothing like a cold shower to relax those aching muscles . . . NOT.
After our Swedish polar swim experience we met up with Alain’ friends Mark, Aline and cute little Robin and found our way to Avenche where an amazing chef kept the restaurant open for us to have “la chasse” and with that all gobbled down we concluded our Morat Fribourg experience for 2010.

2 commentaires:

  1. Congratulations, you have achieved another personal best; you recorded your blog in a new record time!
    Perhaps you should have let those Langoliers catch up with you, because if I remember correctly, they gobbled up time itself and you might have finished before you got started.
    1.2, what was it again, minutes I think, is not bad considering you did a personal best running in the company of some of the world’s best just one week ago.
    If you revved up your engine to 188rpm that might explain what the buzzing sound was that I heard over here this afternoon.

    RépondreSupprimer
  2. Well done Jason! That is a stonking finish. I had to drop the kids at the parking in the Vich woods (Bois du chienne?) and I thought of your max HRT test - nothing can stop you!

    RépondreSupprimer