mercredi 23 juin 2010

5 km near sprint

yesterday was the weekly Foulé Glandoise gathering, I was considering going but in the end I opted for enjoying family life and for some strange reason I was inspired to make a lasagna. It was the best lasagna I ever made and the only one at that, but while everyone was sleeping I watched the Worldcup and finally took the lasagna out of the oven and ate at 22:30.

Today my muscles were nicely lasagna primed and ready to go. late work, and helping put the children to bed took me to 20:30, my major driving force to still go run was a silly desire to make a blogging entry! Heyhey I managed!
There is a prestiges club that I do not yet belong to, it allows a certain degree of bragging rights, the entry fee is nothing more then 5 km in 20 minutes. Now this is quite a challenge, and though I have heard that it is possible, I am still a while away. Today was my trial run, to see where I stand and so off I went.

1st km in 3:54 sec (a delightful downhill start to encourage my 5km projections)
2nd km in 4:30 sec (still very pleased but now I was 26 seconds off pace)
3rd km in 5:03 sec (my biofuels were running out)
4th km in 4:40 sec (kicked in the backup generator)
5th km in 4:53 sec (considering it was uphill, was pleased and glad to stop)

5 km in 23 min (avg 4:36) a personal best, but no membership yet.
my Garmin tells me I had a max heart rate at 190bpm, strange as my calculated maximum is 183, maybe a little glitch, but which one, the heart or the Garmin?
It feels great to run, and even better to stop and write about it!

2 commentaires:

  1. Well that was quite a run of yours. The only way I could do 5k in 20 minutes is straight down jumping from KJP; but then again KJP does not go that high and so I will have to pass on this membership. Perhaps the Olympics for the over 50 in Weyburn Sask. could have a more suitable membership for my class! Unless of course if I could get my hands at that wicked Lasagna then all bets would be off and anything could happen.

    RépondreSupprimer
  2. re: spike - my garmin does that too, don't worry just ignore them, you know your real max.
    re: 5km as you've worked out to clear 5 in 20m your top speed needs to be much faster to cancel out the "slow" km on the hill etc etc.
    solution: 1km reps (and/or 4min reps) should sort you out over a couple of months. I can show you how to set those up if you like.
    final observation: run faster!

    RépondreSupprimer