vendredi 17 septembre 2010

5th race La Sarraz

So here comes my recount of the last of five races after 10 days writers block. This is in someways a good time to write because for one, all the pain is long forgotten, and two I can allow myself to exagerate a bit, hahahah.
After analyzing the hill profile I designed my race strategy. Supposedly it was going to be 2km relatively flat then 3km up up and more up and then 3 km down down down and 1 last km flat. So I told myself all I needed to do was run a 5km race and then let the downhill roll me to the finish line. This strategy actually worked and for most of the race I was ahead of Niall, my memory might be abit blurred, but then will Niall really remember the race in the future? ;o)Ok Ok for 1 km I gave it all I got until finally his jedi saber voomed past me.
The whole thing felt like a near sprint for me and I felt like a dog in the summer with its tongue down to the ground as I crossed the finish line. Very annoyingly there were eager beavers passing me around the last 500 meters and already running a 4:15 min km I had nothing left in me to keep up, then I heard what sounded like a heard of buffalo approaching from the back and I refused to let these bozos who had been eating my dust come up and steal my glory. In the end Nialls familiar voice cheering me on allowed for a sprint and then another little booster over the sprint to catch 2 of my foes. I learned after the race that one of those buffalos was Stefan only seconds behind me. The race itself was actually no fun, contrary to Genolier or Meziere where I enjoyed the forest and alphorns and running altogether. This race was about fireing up the engine and getting to the end, brewt force, nothing beautiful just plowing through whatever was in my way. My compensation was that I could delight in the race statistics and garmins stats.
I can proudly boast a personal best running average of 4:41 min/km in 38:44. This actually gave a running improvement for the 5 races and I moved up in the ranks from 373,307,258,254,246. Niall' blog has some fun pictures and recounts all the other details quite nicely:

http://fitscottishbloke.blogspot.com/2010/09/83km-tour-du-pays-de-vaud-etape-5-la.html

You really managed to get the essence of the evening Niall, what more is there to say? I also confirm that mysterious extra field also almost killed me.

After 10 minutes to recover, the rest of the evening was all about enjoying eachothers company, going to the price table and reminiscing of the last five races. One mention must be said about the after race showers, I have never felt more like a sardine then in the mens showers, gladly there was still warm water, but having 20 naked sweaty men lining up just to access the communal showers was an experience I could have done without! Supposedly last year there was only one set of showers so they were mixed, that must have been interesting.
A long day is cutting my details short, eager for the Toronto race, now Im heading to bed.

2 commentaires:

  1. Writers block eeh, what about leaving your audience hung out to dry?
    Nicely done though, your personal best and your rank improvement. You are getting ever closer to becoming a member of that exclusive club.

    RépondreSupprimer
  2. By the time I got to the showers they were empty!
    Thing is you are now showing elite tendencies, so enjoying races is not something one typically does during the race!

    RépondreSupprimer